(West Plains) – A heating and cooling unit at West Plains Elementary School caught fire Friday morning, filling the school gym with smoke.
West Plains Fire Department crews were called to the West Plains Elementary School Friday morning after a passerby reported smoke coming from the school.
West Plains Fire Chief Tim Bean says that a motor in one of the heating and cooling units had stopped working, causing a fire inside of the unit. The school’s fire alarm system was not triggered, Bean said, because the school did not have one located in the gym.
Coding does not require smoke alarms to be installed in the school gym, according to Bean and Assistant District Superintendent Dr. John Mulford, who said that there was no smoke damage to the gym.
Crews from Southern Missouri Natural Gas and South Howell County EMS were at the scene as well.